Sunday 10 May 2015

Churn and the changing mind.

Ian: “That sounds like William.”

William: “Yup, it is/is not ‘I’”

Ian: “What insights have come to your calm attention lately?”

William: “Flow has been switching on and off between grace and grudge. It is too easy to let attention be captured by the social media during elections. But it can be cut or rationed. Rationing is the middle way. But there needs to be a quality control mechanism so that I focus on good stuff. ”

Ian: “How is ‘good’ to be understood in this case?”

William: “My monkey mind has been active in the attention centre these last few days. The focus has been politics and the election. There has been a load of churn: and I sense a positive feeling for change. A new political door has been opened to peaceful protest. This is good.”

Ian: “So, where next?”

William: “I do not yet have a well thought through map of political economy. There are many buzzwords and sound bites but their meanings are often multiple – and they depend on the politics of those who use them. This can seriously undermine the quality of discussion and debate in the privacy of your own head or in the wider market for ideas.”

Ian: “So, what is to be done?”

William: “I have been on holiday from the heavy existential stuff and engaging with the election process. This mainly involves cruising the social networks and alternative news sites.”

Ian: “Now that the elections are over will you get back to the more serious stuff?”

William: “Hopefully, but I note today that Cameron and the Tories are back in No 10, and already there are street protests about the austerity policy.”

Ian: “Yoh – politics have changed – more people are more heavily involved.”

William: And that makes it more difficult to live in retreat and calmly be aware of churn and the changing mind.” … “Having got this story off my chest and out of my mind there can be a return to just sitting.” … “What about yourself?”

Ian: “I do not exist. I am just a literary device.”

No comments:

Post a Comment